It’s November 1st. (Well, it was yesterday, anyway.) And I’m going to start (or end) each post this month with something I’m thankful for. Because we can all use a little more thankfulness in our lives, right?
And, oh boy, am I ready to get this thankful show on the road. It’s been one heck of an eventful week around here. And in all of the wrong ways. We lost power. We regained power a day and a half later. We got the pukes. We’d like to boot the pukes. Sigh… you can’t win em’ all.
I’d like to end on a positive note.
To that end, some of my favorite “lines” of the week, first.. And for them, I am so thankful. Each one provided a much-needed dose of laughter.
Sweetgirl: “Daddy, I’m tired. When’s Christmas?” (After hitting up only the 10th house for her Halloween loot, the poor thang was ‘zausted. And ready to move on to the next holiday please.)
Sweetboy: “Mama, the power’s back on! You can shower now!” (We survived Hurricane Sandy. I quite enjoyed that little reprieve from the daily shower, thank-you-very-much.)
Sweetman: “This song brought to you by B & M Baked Beans!” (Regarding Carrie Underwood’s performance of “Blown Away” during the CMA’s last night. You see, she had some fancy special effects blowing practically up the back of her dress. And it looked…odd.)
I am oh-so-thankful for:
- Music. It can heal a hurt, soothe a raging beast, get ya’ in the mood, lower the ol’ blood pressure, convict the tar out of a heart, make you feel a little less alone, take you out of your situation 0r help you remember why you’re in it. I’m so thankful for it.
- Running water. It’s such a monumental thing to stop in the middle of the 5th puke bucket wash-out and realize that somewhere, some mama doesn’t have it. She has nothing to wipe the sweat from her child’s brow with. Nothing to wash away the sick.
- Hope. It wells up inside of me lately at the oddest moments. But I am grateful. Moments that I can’t even imagine holding out hope for. and yet, it’s there. Flickering. Unwilling to let anyone or anything smite it out. Yes, Lord. Thank you Lord.
- Devil Dogs. I heart you. You make my days bearable. (Is it wrong to anthropomorphize food?)
- Power. Take that to mean whatever form you’d like. I mean it all. All.
Oh, yes indeedy.