Short on pages, but long on funny, The Sacred Diary… series by Adrian Plass is one of my favorites. He writes with an honesty and wit that I had never read before picking up my first book of his (The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass Aged 37 3/4).
Responding to the news that a new couple that he didn’t particularly enjoy wasn’t going to be able to join their Bible-study group one particular evening, he writes:
“Isn’t it WONDERFUL when something that was going to happen even though you didn’t really want it to happen but you thought it ought to happen because it was right, doesn’t happen after all, and it’s not your fault?”
After reading the above quote, I realized this humor writer was for me for a couple of reasons.
- His tongue-in-cheek way of reporting what really goes on in the hearts of many of us humans was spot on
- His irreverent humor made me laugh
- He was brutally honest
- I identified with the range of emotions he portrayed Christians going through in a single train of thought
- His family relationships made me laugh
- I walked away from each book taking myself a little less seriously and God much more so
- And, he made me laugh
Now, these books are written by an author who is British. Some of the humor is very… British. But, the candid way he captures our foibles and follies is hilarious and brilliant.
And, he will make you laugh.
Missed yesterday’s Write 31 Days’ Day 1 post? No worries – click the little button below and you’ll be whisked there. Tomorrow, I’ll dive into a memoir.